Monday, August 17, 2009

BBQ Ribs, Corn and Salad

Dear Julia,

As I'm making the little green salad that will go with the baby pork ribs Darling Husband is charcoal grillling (with Stubbs BBQ sauce), and the farm fresh corn on the cob which is cooking in the oven -- now my favorite way to have corn (you can keep it intact and serve it hot in its husk, letting guests peel themselves)-- and the appetizer of fresh crisp kirbys, I know I am working with a several-day-old red leaf lettuce, not the most tasty. I am thinking of the statement of yours I recently read in The Way to Cook that over the years you have adapted your French technique of 1:3 (vinegar to oil) to 1:5 as you like wine with dinner and the former proportion was always too acid. I was careful to follow your instructions last night, and it was the perfect complement to the lovely mild greens. Tonight I erred in adding a tiny bit too much mustard, and just more than a drop or too of balsamic, making the dressing too strong. Actually good as an appetizer, and we sopped it up with an Italian bread I didn't like much but DH did. I was looking at potato bread made with yeast, and other bread recipes, and I want to try them.

Tomorrow I have to make a zucchini bread for a work meeting. With ras hal hanout. Let's see if its good.

Cost: $5 farmstand cukes and corn, $7 (1/2 of $14) for the ribs. Half of the ribs leftover for another dinner, or lunches.

Lovely simple dinner on the deck.

Slow Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment