Friday, August 7, 2009

Slow Juila Begins

Dear Julia,

I am a locovore.

It started in my childhood, when my parents would gleefully drive the extra mile for the "most ripe tomato" or the "best corn" from neighbors farm/roadside stands. I was amazed watching my grandfather enjoy his favorite dish, peaches and vanilla ice cream, telling me "there was just one day when this peach was perfectly ripe, and today it that day."

I am a slow foodie. I eat locally, seasonally, sustainably, as much as possible. I am a vegetarian 'till 6 - when my darling husband and I love to cook dinner together, after sourcing locally, of couse!

My favorite of all of Julia's cookbooks is her stated favorite "The Way to Cook".  Easier, fresher, faster, less butter. 

And I can't help but be thrifty. I want to see just how much it cost for me and Tom to source locally, from local farmstands and fishmarkets, local eggs, local cheese, local fruit and more. Yes, we are lucky enough to live on eastern Long Island where farms and farmstands still dot the landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment