Monday, August 10, 2009

Quick Garden Lentil Salad and Omelette

I stopped by a roadside stand to pick up some cherry tomatoes. I'm craving a good tasting tomato as its nearly mid-August and I haven't had any yet. I was thinking of the leftover duck legs we are going to have tomorrow night, and just wanted something easy and simple (and cheap) for dinner tonight. Stuff from the 'fridge. Why not a lentil salad and Julia's beloved "tossed omelette?"

1/2 hour and dinner is served
Some meetings kept me late at work, and I arrived home about 5 minutes to 6. Quick, get a pot of water boiling for the lentils -- I scrounged for the little bag of dry lentils I saw in the 'fridge the other day. Then run to the herb garden for parsley, chervil, and chive if I can find it. Nasturtium blossoms will add a peppery flavor and lots of color. I spot two leftover ears of corn in the fridge. According to Julia, when the water boils add the lentils (preferably soaked for 1 hr but I didn't have time) and simmer, not quite bubbling but the water moving for 15 minutes or so. Then taste check. About 20 minutes later they were done, drained, cooled in water, and ready to be dressed. Julia recommends a mustard vinaigrette -- so I mix together her always perfect ratio of 1:3 (vinegar to oil) that has been the base for many wonderful salads over the last 10 years since I discovered it. Toss it over the lentils, then add all the chopped herbs and quartered cherries.

Then I study Julia's instructions for The Tossed Omelette -- 2 eggs (from Ty Llywd Farm in Jamesport) tiny bit of water, butter for the omelette and 20 seconds later it's on the plate.

Vegetarian 'till 6!
I was a vegetarian all day today, not just until 6!
Cost: 2 eggs $1, tomatoes $3 for the quart and I used 1/3 so $1 = $2 total if you don't count the tad of butter, herbs, flowers, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Oh, and I also bought a little watermelon for $4. Tomorrow's breakfast juice?

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment